7/14/2006

2006.....So Far


Now that it's July, I decided to try my damndest to compile a list of the best ten albums of the last six months. Albums that might just stand the test of time. In this rapid-fire world, the test of time translates to December (as I have no idea which of these titles will still be competing come the end of the year), and in the digital age it's seemingly impossible to sit comfortably with a complete piece of music, having it mean something days later. With modernist reasoning I decided to let my Itunes tell me exactly what was meaningful in my 2006 collection. Oddly enough, the list I physically wrote with pen and paper was ominously close to what Apple told me were my favorites:

1. Brightblack Morning Light - Brightblack Morning Light (Matador)
2. Lansing-Dreiden - The Dividing Island (Kemado)
3. Lambsbread - Greasy Channel (Maim and Disfigure)
4. Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped (Geffen)
5. Gnarls Barkely - St. Elsewhere (Downtown)
6. Guillemots - Through the Windowpane (Universal)
7. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale (Def Jam)
8. An Albatross - Blessphemy (Ace Fu)
9. Home - Sexteen (Brah)
10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones (Interscope)

This list is by no means reliable, or is it? I'm sure the Albatross and Lambsbread albums slipped in there because the songs are so short, making for easily repeated listens. If memory serves me correct though, right now, the Psychedelic Horseshit CDRs and the Soul Jazz Tropicalia Compilation (which I now have on vinyl) are the only two things I play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home