12/29/2006

Odds and Sods


True. I was quite vague about my vacation. More intriguing details will come soon in the form of informed anecdotes. But for now, I'm still trying to wrap up 2006 in a neat, digestible, package. After looking over scads of lists, both in magazines and on blogs, I've come to the conclusion that the year was good for the listener, the viewer, and the reader, if one knew where to look. And instead of rescinding any of my personal picks, I've chosen to add more to the pile. Picking up the December issue of Mojo in the Brussels train station, I remembered that unfortunately/fortunately us Americans are routinely deprived/spared a number of great albums. The power of the internet however, gives the die-hard geek access to all corners of the world. While 2006 wasn't a stellar year (in the states) for the snotty, skeletal, and quirky Brit-ilk made popular by Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party, we obviously weren't looking over the pond.



Young Knives - Voices of Animals and Men

This band reminded us of why we loved the Futureheads, and why that band's sophomore slump was a bitter snore. "Part Timer" is enough of a reason to seek it this album out.



Mystery Jets - Making Dens

More aligned with the XTC revival than anything else, this is a mature and proper Anglo-platter from an extremely talented band. While the diversity is something to cherish, it's rich melody that holds this adventurous debut together. They had a number of successful singles in the U.K. but I prefer "Alas Agnes".



And thanks to the Columbus Public Library, the greatest institution on the globe, I finally managed to see the Nick Cave written, the Proposition. This was leaps and bounds the best movie of the year (acting, cinematography, plot, score !!!). A shame Cave won't even be mentioned for a screenplay Oscar. I'm looking forward to many more Australian westerns penned by the enigmatic one (he's apparently written many, many, more and prefers it to music).

So there we go. I can probably wrangle up one more post before the end of this fine year, but it will have to be about a brother, or being an Elliott brother. Did I mention my little brother got signed to Matador Records? Hate to brag, but it makes my eyes sparkle.

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil G said...

luckily i got to see the proposition in the theatre last year. nick cave brilliance knows no bounds. kevin, when are you coming to visit?

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home